(also shock treatment)
1Treatment of chronic mental conditions by electroconvulsive therapy or by inducing physiological shock.
- Crazy John is to receive shock therapy or counselling for mental illness.
- The treatments comprised straightjackets, seclusion, insulin shock and electric shock treatment, that was it.
- Drugs and electric shock treatment are overused and non-psychotic patients are drawn into hospital work forces.
1.1Sudden and drastic measures taken to solve an intractable problem: the economic shock therapy tried by Yeltsin’s government
More example sentences
- Even during the early and mid-1990s, anti-Americanism increased in the former Soviet Union after Western-style economic reforms such as shock therapy failed utterly.
- Conviction led him to initiate economic shock therapy to pull the U.S. out of the stagflation of the 1970s.
- All the countries adopting shock therapy experienced prolonged economic crisis and mass impoverishment, although the depth of the crisis varied from country to country.
Definition of shock therapy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.