Definition of shrew in English:
1A small mouse-like insectivorous mammal with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
- Several small mammals live in the park - genets, shrews, hedgehogs and mongooses.
- With the zoo's high densities of rodents (deer mice, white-footed mice, house mice, shrews, moles, and Norway rats), a relatively high density of rodent predators could be achieved.
- Foxes, rabbits, harvest mice, house mice, dormice, shrews, weasels, and voles all depend on the hedgerows as a place to breed, hunt or shelter.
2A bad-tempered or aggressively assertive woman: the girls became shrews and harridans
More example sentences
- Socrates was married, you know, and his wife, Xanthippe, was a shrew.
- Now, with this Ann doll, you can start training those young girls at an early age to become bigoted shrews!
- He was perhaps more in love with the study of philosophy than with his family - that his wife Xanthippe was shrew is a later tale.