- 1North American A person confined indoors, especially as a result of either physical or mental disability: she volunteered to visit the sick and the shut-insMore example sentences
- I'm finding I don't have much to write about after a week of being a sick shut-in.
- The program's primary aim is to assist elderly shut-ins, mentally challenged persons and drug abusers.
- At the Westmoreland Multi-Service Center, a senior center in Mt. Pleasant, director Irene Smith helped to prepare more than 50 meals for seniors and shut-ins.
- 2A state or period in which an oil or gas well has available but unused capacity.More example sentences
- The federal Minerals Management Service said less than 1% of annual production in the region has been shut-in as a result of rig and platform evacuations related to Emily.
- There still remain 205,000 barrels of oil per day shut-in and 700 mmcf/d of natural gas offline.
- He notes that these shut-in wells take approximately 8 months to bring on stream.
More definitions of shut-inDefinition of shut-in in:
- The US English dictionary