- A play, game, or inning in which the opposition is prevented from scoring: he carried a shutout into the fifth innings a stunning 34-0 shutout [as modifier]: the first Swedish goal snapped a shutout streak of 136 minutesMore example sentences
- Even though Valenzuela led the National League in complete games, shutouts, innings pitched and strikeouts, Seaver, as you mention, had a better won-lost record.
- Blyleven led the league in complete games once, shutouts three times, innings pitched twice and strikeouts once.
- Hershiser tied or shared the league lead in wins, complete games, shutouts, and innings pitched.
More definitions of shutoutDefinition of shutout in:
- The US English dictionary