Definition of sibship in English:
1chiefly Zoology A group of offspring having the same two parents.
- What is the level of correlated mating within sibships and what is the level of correlated paternity among sibships?
- Our article presents two methods for partitioning individuals into full sibships when no parental information is available and illustrates their accuracy on various real and simulated data sets.
- All individuals were selected from sibships that had both female and hermaphrodite progeny, so all individuals carried a fertility cytoplasm that is susceptible to restoration.
2 [mass noun] Anthropology The state of belonging to a sib or the same sib.
- The first is the percentage of each sibship that is female, given that women generally do a disproportionate share of maintaining kinship ties.
- However, it considers only sibship means and does not account for biological relationships between subjects within families.
- Family identity was maintained so that sibship was not confounded with any of the other assignments, but was not otherwise considered in statistical analyses.
Definition of sibship in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.