- 1A sideways skid or slip.More example sentences
- Tom and I had been working all morning with traverses and side slips where the only release mechanism is ankle movements.
- This frequently results in side-slips and accidents of more or less gravity to men and horses as well as cars.
- 1.1 Aeronautics A sideways movement of an aircraft, especially downwards towards the inside of a turn.More example sentences
- However glider pilots regularly use side-slips to increase their rate of descent while landing, particularly in the case of older sailplanes not equipped with high drag devices (spoilers or flaps).
- he brothers had also encountered problems with "side slips" - the airplane tended to slide sideways in the air during a turn - so they installed semi-circular "blinkers" between the elevator surfaces to keep the airplane flying forward and gave the wings a very slight dihedral angle.
- 1.2(In skiing and surfing) an act of travelling down a slope or wave in a direction not in line with one’s skis or board: at the lip of the peak, I started with a side-slipMore example sentences
- Speed control is the most important factor in mogul skiing and side slips and hockey stops come in quite handy in the beginning.
- Then quickly pivot both skis under your body into a sideslip in the fall line.
verb[no object] Back to top
- 1Skid or slip sideways: the weight counteracts the tyre’s tendency to side-slipMore example sentences
- The ski/walk switch needs to click louder so you know the cuff is locked forward (an important piece of information when you're about to side-slip into a chute).
- Practice side-slipping to each corner, returning to the middle each time.
- From the middle of the court, or the ‘base’ (area where you should return to after each shot), side-slip toward the front corners.
- 1.1 Aeronautics Move in a side-slip: every so often the machine would lose control and simply side-slip into the groundMore example sentences
- Rick very capably side-slipped the airplane onto runway 14, rolled out, and exited the aircraft rapidly while it was still burning.
- Continuing at about 145-mph and a descent rate of about 200-fpm, we reached 3000-ft when number four engine cut out and the B - 24 swerved and started side-slipping down despite full opposite rudder.
- 1.2(In skiing and surfing) travel sideways or in any direction not in line with one’s skis or board: he had side-slipped down the sheer drop from the shoulder of the mountainMore example sentences
- For example, when on the nose and I see a very steep section coming, I want to walk and hang ten and not worry about the fin coming out of the water and side-slipping.
- Despite being enormously out of shape and enormous in general, I managed to catch enough waves and do enough 360s, side-slips and backward rides (some of them even on purpose) to win the novice waveski division.
More definitions of side-slipDefinition of side-slip in:
- The US English dictionary