A large gregarious lemur which leaps from tree to tree in an upright position.
- Genus Propithecus, family Indriidae: two species
More example sentences
- Various studies are looking at how sifakas and other lemurs are affected by this forest fragmentation and whether they would benefit from the creation of ‘corridors’ connecting isolated patches of habitat.
- It is almost as if sifakas have deliberately chosen the most difficult of all the primate patterns ever observed: high mortality coupled with slow reproduction.
- She's also one of a handful of scientists to perform critical work on the highly endangered silky sifaka and Perrier's sifaka, whose habits remain a mystery to biologists.
mid 19th century: from Malagasy.
Definition of sifaka in:
- The US English dictionary