A hard, unreactive, colourless compound which occurs as the mineral quartz and as a principal constituent of sandstone and other rocks.
More example sentences
- Soluble silicates can be obtained by heating alkali metal carbonates and silica.
- Quartz and sand are composed of silicon and oxygen alone: silicon dioxide, or silica.
- Cristobalite is a crystalline form of silica that has a diamondlike structure.
early 19th century: from Latin silex, silic- 'flint', on the pattern of words such as alumina.
- More example sentences
- Quartz is the dominant mineral in veins in siliceous rocks, calcite in limestones, and gypsum in gypsiferous sediments.
- After initial fieldwork in 2000 we realized that the ‘upper siliceous zone’ can be further subdivided into two distinct siliceous horizons.
- Tectonic ironstone encompasses siliceous and ferruginous rock types that are characterized by the presence of chert or cherty quartzite, iron sulphides and their alteration products.
Pronunciation: /-ˈlɪʃəs/(also silicious) adjective
Definition of silica in:
- The US English dictionary