verb (silicifies, silicifying, silicified)[with object]
Convert into or impregnate with silica: the calcareous skeleton has been silicified
More example sentences
- Later, authigenic quartz was precipitated and carbonate phases were partly silicified.
- Silica cells were silicified in the first year, and the frequency was not significantly different among the three leaf ages.
- For most large deposits of agate or silicified wood, silica was derived from the decomposition of volcanic rocks.
- Example sentences
- The formation of botryoidal aragonite and clotted micrite was followed by silicification of carbonate phases and precipitation of authigenic quartz.
- It is probable that the original composition was calcium phosphate, and some secondary silicification has taken place.
- The taxonomic fidelity of silicified microbes will depend on the rate of silicification and the factors that control that process.
Definition of silicify in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.