Definition of silicosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Lung fibrosis caused by the inhalation of dust containing silica.
- The breathing of coal and rock dust causes black lung, the common name given to the lung diseases pneumoconiosis and silicosis.
- In the concentration camp he had contracted silicosis, a lung disease similar to a combination of tuberculosis and emphysema from breathing in the fine dust that filtered through the cracks in the walls and floors.
- For those that don't know, silicosis is an occupational lung disease that can be fatal.
- Example sentences
- In a period of 18 months, we have encountered 4 cases of right middle lobe atelectasis associated with endobronchial silicotic lesions of right middle lobe bronchi.
- The cause of atelectasis is thought to be due to enlargement of silicotic lymph nodes based on image study.
- Neither HIV-positive nor silicotic miners had any special clinical monitoring or follow-up at this site until an HIV care clinic was started in 2000.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.