noun (plural Sindhis)
1A native or inhabitant of Sind.
- The discussion on minorities in Pakistan has drifted aimlessly into defining Baluchis, Sindhis and Pashtuns as minorities and Pakistan as seething cauldron under Punjabi domination.
- There are also several distinct ethnic and linguistic groups in Pakistan, including Pathans, Punjabis, Sindhis, and Baluchis.
- Rural Sind is populated mainly by Sindhis, but the big cities, such as Karachi and Hyderabad, have been settled largely by Mohajirs, Urdu-speaking Muslims who migrated from India.
2 [mass noun] The Indic language of Sind, used also in western India and having about 18 million speakers.
- Urdu and Sindhi are those unfortunate languages that have no home of their own.
- Modern Baluchi shows borrowings from Persian, Arabic, Sindhi, and other languages.
- It is correct that this area spoke one language, Sindhi; this is confirmed by many Muslim geographers.
Relating to the province of Sind or its people, or the Sindhi language.
- She recalled the terror felt even in remote villages and the anguish of having to suppress her Sindhi identity, language and clothing.
- Aptly called Samjhautha, the festival showcases some of the Pakistani chef's specialities: Lahori lamb chops, Peshawari rotis and Sindhi mutton biryani.
- Born in London to Sindhi parents, the young actress who spent two years in Bombay as a child, says the film has made her much more politically aware than she used to be.
Words that rhyme with SindhiCindy, Hindi, indie, Indy, Lindy, Rawalpindi, shindy, Sindy, windy
Definition of Sindhi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.