- Monochrome blocks, representing single species planting, undulate in sinuous curves of primary colour reminiscent of Miro or Arp.
- They offered me a morsel of their rococo scorpion roll, which snaked across a plate in sinuous curves.
- Beautiful terraced gardens sloped down towards the wide Conwy estuary, with the sea-going river a sinuous curve of silver between gleaming mud banks.
- The two earlier ones are stocky and powerful while the later ones, slender and long-limbed, dance with supple, sinuous grace.
- He approached the girl, his movement so sinuous, so lithe; Cora wondered that no one else stared.
- Its design studio has to style cars with the sinuous, feline grace that defines the brand, while making sure new offerings look fresh.
- Example sentences
- Some of the girls moved sinuously and gracefully, others, clearly bored, kicked their clothes in the air and caught them nonchalantly as they snapped gum.
- Potted miniature palms and gilded accents adorned the sinuously curving handrails, just beckoning for a slide down.
- At one side, a concrete wall curves sinuously away, like the torso of a sleeping woman.
- Example sentences
- Nearly overnight, the Middle East became synonymous with visions of the gauze-draped, kohl-eyed, veiled sinuousness of the ‘belly’ dance.
- In this manner the figure loses its proportions and acquires a sinuousness and flexibility suited to the space in which it finds refuge after the various mirrorings.
Late 16th century: from French sinueux or Latin sinuosus, from sinus 'a bend'.
insinuate from early 16th century:
This word was first used in legal contexts in the sense ‘enter (a document) on the official register’. Latin insinuare ‘introduce tortuously’ is the source, from in- ‘in’ and sinuare ‘to curve’, from sinus ‘a bend’ found in the sine of mathematics, sinuous, and the sinus (all late 16th century). Nearly all the English senses were already in Latin.
Words that rhyme with sinuouscontinuous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.