verb (skidoos, skidooing, skidooed)[no object] North American informal, dated
- Will he have enough money left to buy whatever it is that Blue wants, or will the pooch skidoo back to Steve's house empty-pawed?
- The end of the half-inning was the cue for my guests to skidoo.
- I sighed, wishing I could skidoo, but it was far too late, far too cold, and I was far too tired.
- 1twenty-three skidoo
- A hasty departure: you can easily watch your ball do a twenty-three skidoo over the green and into the waterMore example sentences
- ‘Cops would give guys the old move-along,’ I said, ‘and since the Flatiron's on 23rd, it was known as the 23 - skidoo.’
- You could find yourself strutting in a mid-tempo Charleston or a taking a stab at the 23 skidoo.
- To be sure, not everything about EL Magazine smacks of 23 skiddoo and hey-nonny-nonny with a hot-cha-cha.
Early 20th century: perhaps from skedaddle. The term is said to have been used originally in reference to male onlookers chased by police from the Flatiron Building, 23rd Street, New York, where the skirts of female passers-by were raised by winds intensified by the building's design.
Words that rhyme with skidooaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, askew, ballyhoo, bamboo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, Manchu, mangetout, mew, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, rue, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, Sioux, skean dhu, skew, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, sprue, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
- It was an uplifting, exciting feeling to drive the Skidoo pulling only one sledge over a perfectly flat smooth surface.
- Brian was driving the Skidoo, while I was on the back of the sledge.
- Whether it is soaring 50 feet through the air on a Skidoo or popping tricks on a board in a half pipe, extreme sports thrive on danger.
verb (skidoos, skidooing, skidooed)[no object] Back to top
1960s: an arbitrary formation from ski.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.