- An East Asian plant of the parsley family, formerly cultivated in Europe for its edible carrot-like root.
More example sentences
- Sium sisarum, family Umbelliferae
- However, mention of skirrets had largely disappeared from the recipe books by the end of the 18th century.
- The skirret gets an early head start, and is in full size and bloom by the time the hog peanut gets going.
- I have no idea whether sparrows eat skirret, but they were definitely sniffing around it the other night.
Middle English skirwhit(e), perhaps from Scots skire 'bright, clear' + white.