Definition of skittle in English:
1 (skittles) [treated as singular] A game played with wooden pins, typically nine in number, set up at the end of an alley to be bowled down with a wooden ball or disc.
- Then on Wednesday at 9.30PM the name of the game is adult skittles and week ends as per usual with Whist on Thursday at 9pm.
- The skittles set (the English equivalent to 10-pin bowling) comprised six plastic bowling pins and two plastic balls.
- Alex was a real livewire and had loads of energy and many a happy time we had playing football and skittles.
1.1 (in full table skittles) A game played with pins set up on a board to be knocked down by swinging a suspended ball.
- If either of the two white skittles are knocked over, the break finishes and any points made during it are lost.
- It seems more likely, however, that the biased ball is just an alternative solution to try to reduce the amount of space needed for the skittles game.
- While other mums may let their children win the odd game of dominoes or throw the occasional game of skittles, I always try to win.
2A pin used in the game of skittles.
- This float looks like a miniature skittle seen in a bowling lane.
- The ball hit him square in the forehead and he fell like a skittle.
- The table featured a croquet-like hoop at one end called the ‘Port’ and an upright skittle at the other called the ‘King’.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Knock over as if in a game of skittles: she put her hand out and skittled a row of bottles
More example sentences
- And anyone who can steer a 41-seater through our ancient narrow streets without skittling half a dozen street lights deserves a medal.
- I don't drive but, if I did, I am sure that I would have by now, been responsible for skittling a few cyclists over - and who would have been to blame?
- I have seen him skittle opponents with the ball in his hand - and quite a few have ended up in hospital such is the power of the man.
1.1 Cricket Get (batsmen) out in rapid succession: Pakistan were skittled out for 93
More example sentences
- Two run-outs, which took the number of dismissals by the fielders to eight in four games, helped skittle Doncaster for 60.
- However, that effort was matched by Dunfermline's South African amateur Johan Mans, whose 4-25 helped skittle Drumps for just 74.
- Hughes then returned 5-22 in skittling Thixendale for 131.
Words that rhyme with skittleacquittal, belittle, brittle, committal, embrittle, it'll, kittle, little, remittal, spittle, tittle, victual, whittle
Definition of skittle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan