1A person who slates roofs for a living.
- Tony stared off in the building trade and quickly settled into work as a roof slater.
- There Naismith worked, as best he could given his poor health, as a plasterer and slater.
- Sangster, a retired slater, added: ‘The girl at the stonemason's yard was a bit taken aback when I told her the stone was for me.’
2A woodlouse or similar isopod crustacean.
- Several species in the order Isopoda. See also sea slater
- A few Crustacea (slaters or sow bugs) even live on land, usually under old logs and leaf litter.
- I could also see large marine isopods, looking like giant marine slaters, and some flower-like sea lilies (crinoids, a group of echinoderms related to starfishes).
- Visitors have viewed many types of spiders, beetles and slaters under bright lights and microscopes.
Words that rhyme with slatercater, crater, creator, curator, data, debater, delator, dumbwaiter, equator, fascinator, freighter, frustrater, gaiter, grater, gyrator, hater, later, legator, mater, negator, pater, peseta, plater, rotator, skater, stater, tater, traitor, ultimata, understater, upstater, waiter
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: slater
Definition of slater in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.