A member of a group of peoples in central and eastern Europe speaking Slavic languages.
- Greeks, Italians, Slavs, Turks and Russians all composed their own versions; they cannot possibly be reconciled.
- More headway was made among the Slavs of central Europe, aided by the relative ease of access and the penumbra of Carolingian power.
- The Russians are primarily eastern Slavs, but many also have a Finnish, Siberian, Turkish, or Baltic heritage.
another term for Slavic.
- The last three weeks have seen its fragile ethnic balance shaken, highlighting differences between the country's three-quarter Slav majority and its substantial Albanian minority.
- Albanian guerrillas with backing from Kosovo began operating in Macedonia earlier this year, bringing the majority Orthodox Slav country to the brink of civil war.
- They were forced to adopt Slav names and their religious and cultural rights were changed and this process became known as the Revival Process.
- Example sentences
- Professor Donskov is a leading Canadian Slavist in Russian literature and a world-renowned Tolstoy expert.
- She falls in love with him, moves in, and abandons him for a more serious scholar, a Swedish Slavist.
Words that rhyme with SlavAlgarve, calve, carve, grave, Graves, halve, starve, suave, Zouave
Definition of Slav in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.