noun (plural slaveys)British informal , dated
A maidservant, especially a hard-worked one: you think it’s safe to leave the household slaveys with our gear?
More example sentences
- I like being a countess, especially if it means slaveys to run my bath and fan me with peacock feathers!
- Anyhow… I have read about some slaveys that had very lavish opulent lifestyles because their owners were very caring.
- The trades have been full of stories about wholesale firings; panicky studios have cut salaries of office slaveys and minor employees.
Words that rhyme with slaveycavy, Davy, Devi, gravy, navy, venae cavae, wavy
Definition of slavey in:
- US English dictionary
noun (plural same or Slaveys)
1A member of a Dene people of NW Canada.
- Like the Beaver, the Slaveys had a tradition of prophets.
- Often ruthless and ferocious, Beaulieu was the bitter and brutal enemy of the Dogribs, Slaveys and Sekanis, and is said to have killed 12 people with his own hands.
- In Pre-European times the area was occupied by various Indian tribes of the Athapascan language group, including Slaveys and Mountain people in the vicinity of Bear River.
2 [mass noun] Either of the two languages ( North and South Slavey) spoken by the Slavey.
- 54% indicated that North Slavey was their most fluent language and 45% use it most frequently at home.
- The main languages used by the Natives of Fort Simpson are South Slavey and English.
- Languages spoken in the community are North Slavey and English.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Slavey or their languages.
- A Slavey Indian trapper, John Tetso lived and worked where the Liard River meets the Mackenzie in the Northwest Territories.
- Read a complete summary of the Mackenzie Gas Project in the North Slavey language.
- Besides the accumulation of a variety of northern meals, the publication is also a project to preserve the South Slavey dialect.
Translating Cree awahkān 'captive, slave'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.