nounchiefly North American
1A loose cover, in particular a detachable cover for a chair or sofa.
- Replacing old carpet, adding wall hangings or purchasing a slip cover for an old sofa are cost-effective cosmetic changes that make a less-than-ideal room appear more suitable.
- I love my couch with its rose-covered slip cover.
- I know I could make a slip cover, but I like the texture of the existing fabric. is it possible to dye the chair as is or will I ruin the piece?
1.1A jacket or slip case for a book, CD, or DVD.
- The author of this book is described on the slip cover as a ‘free lance journalist who has devoted much of the last ten years to studying… Caesar… and the… late Roman Republic.’
- Inside of a plastic slip cover, an embossed logo is placed on construction paper envelope.
- The retail sample we received has a box (complete with a plastic handle), with a slip cover outlining the product specifications and features.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: slip|cover
Definition of slipcover in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.