Definition of sloe in English:
1 another term for blackthorn.
- And by late September, despite Dan's very rudimentary knowledge of tree taxonomy, he could clearly distinguish elders, hazels and sloes not to mention mountain ash and wild plums.
- And there are some hedges left, and the one we followed for the first mile had a good mix of native species, thorn, elder, holly, hazel, wild rose, gooseberry, sloe and horse chestnut.
- It connected us with a fruity hedge with brambles, rosehips, sloes, and a hundred yards of elders weighed down with berries.
1.1The small bluish-black fruit of the blackthorn, with a sharp sour taste.
- Wild fruit jellies, such as elderberry, rowanberry, sloe or crab apple, also make a great accompaniment.
- Many fruits were eaten and seeds from excavations tell us that they also had small apples (crab apples) plums, cherries and sloes.
- We then realised that we had all the sloe fruit left from the gin-making process so decided to go in for chocolate making.
Definition of sloe in:
- US English dictionary