Definition of sloth in English:
1 [mass noun] Reluctance to work or make an effort; laziness: he should overcome his natural sloth and complacency
More example sentences
- It seems to be intrinsic to domestic politics of every variety that a certain dismal downward trend emerges, characterized by sloth, despondency and complacency.
- Once again the drawbacks to living a life of laziness and sloth became apparent.
- Their lack of mathematical acumen is taken by parents and teachers as evidence of laziness, of sloth.
2A slow-moving tropical American mammal that hangs upside down from the branches of trees using its long limbs and hooked claws.
- Families Bradypodidae (three species of three-toed sloth in genus Bradypus) and Megalonychidae (two species of two-toed sloth in genus Choloepus), order Xenarthra (or Edentata).
- Peccaries, tapirs, anteaters, armadillos, sloths, coatis, and others are around but hard to see.
- In South America, a group known as the Xenarthrans developed, today represented by the anteaters, sloths and armadillos.
- Monkeys, tapirs, sloths, anteaters, and bats abound, all in an area the size of West Virginia.