Definition of smashing in English:
Excellent; wonderful: you look smashing!
More example sentences
- Thank you everyone, marvellous entertainment and smashing, friendly people, lots of them!
- But as the years go by, we realize what a smashing wonderful star she was.
- Letting famous film directors direct operas has resulted in both smashing successes and dismal failures.
wonderful, marvellous, excellent, splendid, magnificent, superb, amazing, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful
informal super, great, amazing, fantastic, terrific, tremendous, phenomenal, sensational, heavenly, stellar, gorgeous, dreamy, grand, fabulous, fab, fabby, fantabulous, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, awesome, amazeballs, magic, ace, cool, mean, bad, wicked, mega, crucial, mind-blowing, far out, A1, sound, out of this world, marvy, spanking
North American informal peachy, dandy, jim-dandy, neat, badass, boss, radical, rad, boffo, bully, bitching
South African informal kif, lank
informal , dated groovy, divine
British informal , dated capital, champion, wizard, corking, cracking, ripping, spiffing, top-hole, topping, beezer
North American informal , dated swell, keen
- Example sentences
- The tour is going absolutely, smashingly well.
- Zen 8 was out of salmon skin, but we hit the jackpot at Sushi Kawa - the salmon was smashingly crispy, the rolls expertly composed.
- Everything comes together smashingly, in an extended dénouement that… reasserts the power of stories and songs to represent, sustain and complete us.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan