- A man’s comfortable jacket, typically made of velvet, formerly worn while smoking after dinner.More example sentences
- The great English dandy wears chalkstripe trousers, damask waistcoats, velvet smoking jackets and embroidered leather coats, while combining them with eskimo, parkas, work jackets in leather, cotton and wool.
- No longer in his emerald silk lapelled jacket, the Professor wore a smoking jacket made of magenta velvet with black piping.
- I've never had any time for the sort of people who describe themselves as ‘wine enthusiasts’ and wear velvet smoking jackets at home on Friday evenings.’
More definitions of smoking jacketDefinition of smoking jacket in:
- The US English dictionary