Definition of snore in English:
1A snorting or grunting sound in a person’s breathing while they are asleep: she lay on the mattress listening to Sally’s snores
More example sentences
- His head was leaning back, and every time he breathed a snore would erupt from his nostrils.
- Andrew's slightly parted lips were resting uncomfortably on the back of her neck, his horrid breath and snores now directed quite frankly right at her nose.
- Noting that her parents were fast asleep, for she could hear the loud snores of her father and the soft breathing her of mother, she slipped down the stairs to the front door.
verb[no object] Back to top
Make a snorting or grunting sound while asleep: he was snoring loudly (as noun snoring) you keep me awake all night with your snoring
More example sentences
- It may be due to something straightforward such as snoring at night, but it's worth having a chat about it with your doc.
- Apart from the sound of two people munching and two cats snoring, quiet settled on the old ranch house.
- So, snoring often occurs only during the hay fever season or with a cold or sinus infection.
Middle English (in the sense 'a snort, snorting'): probably imitative; compare with snort.
- Example sentences
- For the new treatment, snorers are given local anaesthetic before the sharp head of a hand-held device is inserted into the palate to inject the cylinders.
- Forty-five per cent of normal adults snore at least occasionally, and 25 per cent are habitual snorers.
- Loud snoring is not only a terrible night-time disturbance for roommates, it can also be a potentially harmful disease for snorers themselves.
Words that rhyme with snoreabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
Definition of snore in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India