- Either of two small insects that appear on or near snow in northern regions or on mountains:
More example sentences
- ● a small flightless scorpion fly which feeds on mosses (family Boreidae, including the Eurasian Boreus hyemalis); North American name: snow scorpion fly. ● a springtail that often swarms on snow, making it appear black (family Isotomidae, including the Alpine Isotoma saltans and the North American Hypogastrura nivicola).
- The scientists isolated the gene for green opsins from 11 species of scorpionflies, snow fleas, and true fleas.
- Scientists have discovered new secrets from a tiny snow flea that can survive in freezing conditions.
- Some people become worried by the vast numbers of snow fleas and their sudden appearance on the ground.
More definitions of snow fleaDefinition of snow flea in:
- The US English dictionary