Definition of social climber in English:
A person who is anxious to gain a higher social status.
- But an unprecedented study into class mobility, revealed today by Scotland on Sunday, suggests the boom days are over for social climbers.
- The fashion and political worlds are better represented these days, and there are plenty of tourists, paparazzi and social climbers.
- Shakespeare's father, John was a social climber who spent years lobbying for a coat of arms, and a sometime loan shark, whose usury saw him dragged into court at least once, according to surviving records.
social climbing noun
- Example sentences
- Yet for all the social climbing and craving for acceptance, there were times when Archer showed genuine humility.
- Was love more important than wealth or did romance take a back seat to social climbing?
- A culture of social climbing and grandiose political gestures was expressed visually in the decoration of domestic space with elaborate painted wall schemes, bronze and marble sculpture, and extravagant minor arts.
Definition of social climber in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.