Definition of sock puppet in English:
1A simple hand puppet made from a sock.
- When you were a young kid, did you ever play with sock puppets?
- Making sock puppets is a great hobby to share with your kids and one that helps them disconnect from electronics and other daily distractions.
- Who can resist making their own finger paintings or sock puppets?
1.1A person whose actions are controlled by another: a brainless sock puppet who only knows what to say because his handlers feed him his lines
More example sentences
- So, having been caught using sock puppets to circumvent the spending limits, the right has relegalised using sock puppets to circumvent election spending limits.
- Always funny how the left creates such "capitalist" sock puppets and then blames their failure on the market, when it's inevitably the govt-created or regulated agencies that fail first and hardest.
- They lie, use sock puppets, and will do literally anything to further their aims.
1.2A false online identity, typically created by a person or group in order to promote their own opinions or views: both sides in the debate use sock puppets to make it seem as if scores of people are arguing a point
More example sentences
- Sock puppets are banned in many online venues.
- A trend on the rise is the use of sock-puppets to reinforce material that has been posted and/or undermine any opposing material that appears under comments from genuine contributors.
- They're creating armies of software-driven sock-puppets to gang up on bloggers and commenters to swamp negative comment.
sock puppetry noun
- Example sentences
- People and organizations engage in sock puppetry when they think of social media as a one-way channel for broadcasting their message.
- On top of that, the long, sleek form of a sea otter lends itself very well to sock puppetry.
- The PR industry must condemn massive, automated sock-puppetry.
Definition of sock puppet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan