- A strongly alkaline white deliquescent compound used in many industrial processes, e.g. the manufacture of soap and paper. Also called caustic soda.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NaOH
- Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.
- Platinum also dissolves in hot alkalis such as hot sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.
- By melting silica mixed with sodium hydroxide or calcium oxide one is able to interrupt the long chains of silicon-oxygen bonds to form more easily melted glasses.
More definitions of sodium hydroxideDefinition of sodium hydroxide in:
- The US English dictionary