A marine bivalve mollusc with a thin shell and a long siphon, valued as food on the east coast of North America. Also called soft clam, steamer clam.
- Genus Mya, family Myidae, especially M. arenaria
More example sentences
- They are then ready for a clambake, to become steamed softshell clams, or for use in certain clam chowders and clam pies.
- On the east coast of North America the softshell clam ranges from the Labrador region to Cape Hatteras.
- Likewise, the fragile shell of eastern softshell clams makes them poor candidates for surviving.
Definition of softshell clam in:
- The US English dictionary