nounchiefly North American
- A crab, especially a blue crab, that has recently moulted and has a new shell that is still soft and edible. Also called soft crab.More example sentences
- The Spider roll in particular, with its fried softshell crab, tasted too much of cooking oil.
- The shrimp heads are tempura-fried and served whole alongside, which is not all that different from eating a softshell crab.
- They vend both catfish and softshell varieties of the po’ boy sandwich, but my preference far and away is the softshell crab.
More definitions of softshell crabDefinition of softshell crab in:
- The US English dictionary