Definition of solecism in English:
1A grammatical mistake in speech or writing.
- This year, it seems likely that a number of my fellow countrymen will be spending a good deal of time pedantically pursuing punctuation rules and grumbling at grammatical solecisms.
- This, I believe, is the only grammatical solecism Esther perpetrates in her long narrative.
- Everyone in the publishing process should report a solecism that would otherwise go undetected - a misspelling, a grammatical error.
1.1A breach of good manners; an instance of incorrect behaviour.
- But he never brooked any solecism in behaviour inside his courtroom.
- The question is not whether Mourinho commits these solecisms: every week provides a new instance of a Mourinhism that raises the hackles of stout-hearted, stout-drinking English yeomen.
- In any case, it was unlikely that John would commit any solecism of protocol, since he was already well acquainted with her, she having been one of his wife's bridesmaids.
faux pas, gaffe, breach of etiquette, impropriety, piece of indecorum, social indiscretion, inappropriate behaviour, infelicity, slip, error, blunder, miscalculation, lapse;
British informal , dated floater
- Example sentences
- Fiske's entry declares sternly that ‘trepidatious’ is "solecistic for fearful (and similar words);" he offers ‘uneasy’ and ‘anxious’ as well as ‘fearful.’
- The barbaric and solecistic functions of language are used in order to attract attention to important aspects of a text, and they are associated with provocation, renewal, transgression and upheaval.
- But of course what they send up here bears as much relationship to the original model as the solecistic phrase ‘honing in’ bears to the more accurate and traditional ‘homing in.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan