- 1 Biology The parts of an organism other than the reproductive cells.More example sentences
- In this asymmetric cell division, the mother cell represents the soma and the daughter cell the germline.
- We show that two sex-determination signals, the X chromosome number within the germ cells and a female soma, differentially regulate ovo-B and ovo-A.
- We find that 2X germ cells express high levels of ovo-B regardless of the sexual identity of either the surrounding soma or the germ cells themselves.
- 2The body as distinct from the soul, mind, or psyche.More example sentences
- There is a definite relationship between the psyche and the soma (mind and the body).
- The Greek background includes the idea that the psyche separates from the soma, ‘body,’ at death and lives on.
- They discuss the importance of using this expanded system to increase the physician's understanding of the complex interplay between the soma, the psyche and the social milieu of the patient.
late 19th century: from Greek sōma 'body'.
noun[mass noun] Hinduism
- 1An intoxicating drink prepared from a plant and used in Vedic ritual, believed to be the drink of the gods. See also hom.More example sentences
- Fire worship was central to the Aryans and to their Vedic and Avestan expressions, as was the tradition of the holy drink - the Vedic soma and the Avestan haoma.
- The horse sacrifice, soma sacrifice, agricultural rituals and coronation of kings follow a ceremonial ritual that are explained in the Yajur Veda, mainly for the Brahmin class to follow and implement.
- In India, the religious use of a psychedelic called soma was featured in the Rig Veda and entheogens have been a part of south Asian religious practice for millennia.
- 1.1 (also soma plant) [count noun] A plant used to make soma.More example sentences
- When Soma was pressed and made into a drink, the ancient worshipper who imbibed it gained the powerful attributes of this God.
- 1.2(In Aldous Huxley’s novel Brave New World) a narcotic drug which produces euphoria and hallucination, distributed by the state in order to promote content and social harmony.More example sentences
- The people, for whom the media is " soma ", are hapless vessels of their message.