noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A hormone secreted in the pancreas and pituitary gland which inhibits gastric secretion and somatotrophin release.More example sentences
- The hormones capable of altering the MMC include insulin, pancreatic polypeptide, somatostatin, glucagon, secretin, motilin, gastrin, cholecystokinin, and neurotensin.
- They were focally positive for gastrin, somatostatin, and pancreatic polypeptide but tested negative for glucagon, serotonin, insulin, and inhibin.
- In the pancreas, somatostatin acts a paracrine inhibitor of other pancreatic hormones and thus also has systemic effects.
More definitions of somatostatinDefinition of somatostatin in:
- The US English dictionary