Definition of somebody in English:
1Some person; someone.
- Claire decided that she must have fallen asleep at the party, and somebody had taken her home.
- There are so many characters that you're bound to end up identifying with somebody.
- You are at a party, and you have been chatting to somebody who seems very nice.
2A person of importance or authority: I’d like to be somebody [as noun]: nobodies who want to become somebodies
More example sentences
- We're talking about La-la-land, people, where nearly everyone's a star, if only in their own minds, and those who happen not to be somebodies always made a point of never being awed by star power.
- These people are political no-bodies who fancy themselves to be somebodies.
- In the tradition of two of America's greatest social commentators, Alexis de Tocqueville and Thorstein Veblen, Fuller points out that we are all somebodies and nobodies, that dignity is non-negotiable.
important person, VIP, personage, public figure, notable, notability, dignitary, pillar of society, pillar of the community, worthy;
someone, name, big name, famous name, household name, personality, celebrity, celebutante, leading light, star, superstar;
informal celeb, bigwig, big shot, big noise, big cheese, big gun, big fish, biggie, heavy, hotshot, megastar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan