Definition of soot in English:
A deep black powdery or flaky substance consisting largely of amorphous carbon, produced by the incomplete burning of organic matter.
- Diesel particulate matter consists of soot mixed with anything from volatile organic compounds to sulphur and nitrous oxides.
- What impact, if any, does soot and black carbon from fires have on the glaciers of Kilimanjaro?
- Very low particulate, soot, and volatile organic emissions are released when it is burned.
verb[with object] Back to top
(as) black as soot
- Intensely black: the clouds as black as sootMore example sentences
- The skin was black as soot, and smooth as if not really skin at all.
- And I never would have believed it a military unit, even one from the North, cause every face I saw was as black as soot.
- He pulled back his hood with a hand as black as soot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan