Definition of soot in English:
A deep black powdery or flaky substance consisting largely of amorphous carbon, produced by the incomplete burning of organic matter.
- Diesel particulate matter consists of soot mixed with anything from volatile organic compounds to sulphur and nitrous oxides.
- What impact, if any, does soot and black carbon from fires have on the glaciers of Kilimanjaro?
- Very low particulate, soot, and volatile organic emissions are released when it is burned.
verb[with object] Back to top
(as) black as soot
- Intensely black: the clouds as black as sootMore example sentences
- The skin was black as soot, and smooth as if not really skin at all.
- And I never would have believed it a military unit, even one from the North, cause every face I saw was as black as soot.
- He pulled back his hood with a hand as black as soot.