1A North American desert plant of the agave family, with spiny-edged leaves and small white flowers.
- Genus Dasylirion, family Agavaceae: several species.
- Bleached stalks of agave and sotol pierce the cloudless blue sky.
- The sugary trunks and leaf bases of Wheeler sotol have been used to feed cattle during droughts.
- The snow over the desert clarified both the colors and the forms of its plants - Mormon tea, sotol, lechuguilla, leatherstem, acacias - and the hard frost retained the tracks of javelina.
1.1An alcoholic drink made from the sap of the sotol plant.
- Although the process is similar to that used for mezcal, sotol is not a mezcal, since it is not made from agave.
- Rattlesnake, having skin and head and tail removed, is fermented in sotol for serious foot infections.
- Like its cousins, Tequila and Mezcal, Sotol has its own denomination of origin.
Late 19th century: via American Spanish from Nahuatl tzotolli.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sotol
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.