- 1(Especially of a place) lacking character and individuality: she found the apartment beautiful but soullessMore example sentences
- The commission has estimated the cost to local authorities of bogus or excessive compensation claims at £117m a year and say public spaces are becoming dreary, fun-free, soulless places.
- It follows two disaffected teenagers through the bland, soulless landscape of their suburban California existence.
- I have found Brussels to be a soulless place, in which everything is closed in the evening.
- 1.1(Of an activity) tedious and uninspiring: soulless, non-productive workMore example sentences
- In some cases, that's no doubt true; there's a lot of soulless work out there.
- While tzedakah is a Jewish obligation, it is not meant to be fulfilled in a rote or soulless way.
- And talk about a numbing curse: a fruitless, soulless loop of activity that grows more meaningless with each passing cycle.
- 1.2Lacking or suggesting the lack of human feelings and qualities: two soulless black eyes were watching herMore example sentences
- Tarkovsky no doubt saw himself pursuing the spiritual in human existence against the soulless, corrupt and morally bankrupt Stalinist leadership.
- In the end, we're not quite sure if the soulless quality of the milieu he chronicles is a reflection of the world outside his head or the one inside it.
- Government alone without religion is soulless and lacking any moral framework, they say.
- More example sentences
- Many subsequent adaptations of literature typified the film industry's appetite for soullessly copying previous hits.
- Kids who have been beaten or deprived tend to grow up to be either soullessly obedient to their ‘superiors’, or else violently rebellious.
- I'll never understand how people can take such pleasure in struggling a wonky trolley around endless impersonal aisles of soullessly stacked goods week after week after week.
- More example sentences
- Stokoe shows great insight into the architecture of envy, and there are times when he makes you feel clearly why fame and wealth feel desperately important to someone who has sunk to a certain level of soullessness.
- Anybody who spends time in a city doing anything other than going to work and coming home understands the soullessness of city life.
- There's a cynical thread running through this novel that isn't merely limited to the soullessness of its criminals.