- The partial representation of the sense of a word by its sound, as in bang, fizz, and slide. See also onomatopoeia.More example sentences
- Etymologists are very aware of the part played by onomatopoeia and sound symbolism in creating new words.
- Thus, the sound of words may be directly onomatopoeic or may give a less overt effect of sound symbolism.
- This research forms part of renewed research into the role that sound symbolism plays in language evolution.
More definitions of sound symbolismDefinition of sound symbolism in:
- The US English dictionary