noun[mass noun] North American • trademark
- A compound used to fill cracks in plaster and produce a smooth surface before decoration: ceiling spackle and fake-wood decorative beamsMore example sentences
- Gouges or holes in the walls must be repaired with wall board compound, spackle, or patching plaster.
- Fill all cracks and holes using a joint compound and drywall compound or spackle.
- Use no-shrink spackle, joint compound or plaster to patch screw holes.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Repair (a surface) or fill (a hole or crack) with spackle: pull off any loose paper and spackle these areasMore example sentences
- In something of a daze, I quickly spackled the holes left by the shelf removal and began to paint.
- If you score the wall, too, it can always be spackled and sanded.
- I spackled the wall two years back and have just been sort of glaring at it since.
1920s: perhaps a blend of sparkle and German Spachtel 'putty knife, mastic'.
More definitions of spackleDefinition of spackle in:
- The US English dictionary