- Here the symptoms were epileptic seizures, spastic movements, dance-like twitching, and formication.
- Typically, clients experiencing spastic paralysis are only able to use the involved limb in a limited manner because they lack the motor control needed for most activities.
- He has cerebral palsy affecting his whole body with spastic, continuous purposeless movements.
- The concept of independent living among persons with disability including spastics and the mentally challenged is picking up all over the globe.
The word spastic has been used in medical senses since the 18th century. In the 1970s and 1980s it became a term of abuse, used mainly by schoolchildren, directed towards any person regarded as incompetent or physically uncoordinated. Nowadays, the use of the word spastic, whether as a noun or as an adjective, is likely to cause offence, and it is preferable to use phrasing such as a person with cerebral palsy instead.
- Example sentences
- Overactive bladder is a condition in which the muscle surrounding the bladder contracts spastically causing frequent urination or incontinence.
- Social Dancing is so spastically uneven and nerve-wracking; so full of jittery caffeine beats and saccharin melodies that I find it impossible not to love every infantile moment about it.
- I saw Kayla and Andrew dancing spastically in the middle of the room.
- Example sentences
- Although we based the study around spasticity, we also wanted to capture any treatment effects among the other important symptoms described by people with MS.
- A new type of drug treatment is showing promise in children with moderate to severe spasticity.
- Her daughter suffers from bi-lateral spasticity, a form of cerebral palsy which Miller believes was induced by toxins accumulating in her breast milk.
Mid 18th century: via Latin from Greek spastikos 'pulling', from span 'pull'.
Words that rhyme with spasticbombastic, drastic, dynastic, ecclesiastic, elastic, encomiastic, enthusiastic, fantastic, gymnastic, iconoclastic, mastic, monastic, neoplastic, orgastic, orgiastic, periphrastic, plastic, pleonastic, sarcastic, scholastic, scholiastic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: spas|tic
Definition of spastic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.