Definition of spermatid in English:
An immature male sex cell formed from a spermatocyte, which may develop into a spermatozoon without further division.
- These haploid cells - now called spermatids - thus contain 23 single half chromosomes.
- Rates of protein evolution were fastest for genes expressed during the dramatic morphogenesis of round spermatids into spermatozoa.
- Spermatocytes, the progenitors of spermatids, are biosynthetically active cells, producing all the components that will be needed in the mature spermatozoa.
- Example sentences
- Two novel zinc fingers have been discovered in the mammalian spermatidal protein TP2, which recognizes human CpG islands in a zinc dependent manner.
- Rat spermatidal protein TP2 is rich in serine residues and has several potential sites for phosphorylation by different protein kinases.
- Possible functions for high HMGA2 levels may include role in testis-specific events such as genetic recombination, meiotic divisions, or replacement of histones by late spermatidal basic proteins during nuclear condensation.
Definition of spermatid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan