Definition of spermatogonium in English:
noun (plural spermatogonia ˌspəːmətə(ʊ)ˈɡəʊnɪəspəˌmatə(ʊ)ˈɡəʊnɪə)Biology
A cell produced at an early stage in the formation of spermatozoa, formed in the wall of a seminiferous tubule and giving rise by mitosis to spermatocytes.
- In severely degenerated tubules, only spermatogonia and Sertoli cells were observed, and pachytene spermatocytes sloughing into the lumen were observed.
- The primitive germinal cells are the spermatogonia, which lie peripherally in the tubule wall, outside the barrier of Sertoli cell junctions.
- In the testis, these cells are termed the spermatogonia.
- Example sentences
- Because they can now grow spermatogonial stem cells in culture, researchers have a ready source of cells that they could manipulate genetically, explained the study's senior author.
- A maximum of 50 offspring were tested from each ENU-treated male to prevent the recovery of identical mutations from the limited population of spermatogonial stem cells.
- At the apical end of the testes, stem cells divide to produce a spermatogonial cell that undergoes four rounds of mitosis to produce 16 primary spermatocytes.
Definition of spermatogonium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.