noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A substance which occurs widely in brain and nervous tissue, consisting of complex phosphoryl derivatives of sphingosine and choline.More example sentences
- In this study, we have examined how the headgroup size and properties affect the membrane properties of sphingomyelin and interactions with cholesterol.
- Cholesterol and sphingomyelin are thought to be the principal components of lipid rafts in cell and model membranes.
- In contrast, choline is essentially derived from the circulation, and only negligible amounts are incorporated into other lipids, such as sphingomyelin.
More definitions of sphingomyelinDefinition of sphingomyelin in:
- The US English dictionary