Definition of sphygmomanometer in English:
An instrument for measuring blood pressure, typically consisting of an inflatable rubber cuff which is applied to the arm and connected to a column of mercury next to a graduated scale, enabling the determination of systolic and diastolic blood pressure by increasing and gradually releasing the pressure in the cuff.
- All sphygmomanometers had calibrated mercury columns and were of standard size.
- At each examination, the local investigators measured blood pressure once, using a mercury sphygmomanometer and with the patient sitting.
- Sitting blood pressure was measured by mercury sphygmomanometer after five minutes' rest.
- sphygmomanometry noun
- Example sentences
- Heart rate, oxygen saturation, and blood pressure were recorded by electrocardiography, pulse oximetry, and sphygmomanometry, respectively.
- A total of 19 attending physicians were assessed for ability in measuring PP by sphygmomanometry and by palpation.
- Although it will be some years before any move is made to replace the millimetre of mercury, we must prepare for changes in clinical sphygmomanometry.
Definition of sphygmomanometer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.