Definition of spicula in English:
noun (plural spiculaeˈspɪkjʊliː)technical
1A hard, pointed projection on part of a plant or animal; a spine or prickle.
- In certain genera with a simple spike this is clearly proved by the structure of the terminal flower or spicula.
- Others are barbed like the spicula of a bee's sting.
- The prickly ash is armed with spiculae, like the locust.
1.1A sharp-pointed crystalline structure.
- The spiculae of hoar frost were of all lengths, from an inch downward.
- The frozen moisture may fall in spiculae or crystals of ice.
- We have only to suppose, the particles which are employed in crystallization, to be endowed with a tendency to form spiculae.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.