- A congenital defect of the spine in which part of the spinal cord and its meninges are exposed through a gap in the backbone. It often causes paralysis of the lower limbs, and sometimes learning difficulties.More example sentences
- This is a very important charity which treats children with serious illnesses such as cancer, leukaemia, spina bifida and cystic fibrosis.
- Ultrasound can be used to diagnose certain congenital defects such as spina bifida.
- Often called open spine, spina bifida affects the backbone and, sometimes, the spinal cord.
More definitions of spina bifidaDefinition of spina bifida in:
- The US English dictionary