- An edible Asian plant of the goosefoot family, with large dark green leaves which are widely eaten as a vegetable.
More example sentences
- Spinacia oleracea, family Chenopodiaceae
- The spinach has gone bright green and almost melted into the hot sauce.
- Add the spinach leaves, simmer for 5 min, scatter with coriander and serve with rice.
- Blend spinach and ricotta or cottage cheese in a blender or work together through a sieve.
- More example sentences
- Scallops came with a tiny pulp of Good King Henry (a spinachy local herb) and also ginger and green-tea foam.
- This is a nice version: more spinachy and less viscous than most, with a pungent kick of Parmesan and lots of thin tortilla chips for dipping.
- The cream of spinach soup was sleek, subtle and full of spinachy goodness.
Middle English: probably from Old French espinache, via Arabic from Persian aspānāḵ.
More definitions of spinachDefinition of spinach in:
- The US English dictionary