Definition of spiv in English:
A man, typically a flashy dresser, who makes a living by disreputable dealings.
- She would recount how it was possible to buy anything - from meat, chocolate, cigarettes and the obligatory ‘nylons’ - from the spivs and black market racketeers.
- Martin Clunes plays George Haigh, a wartime spiv who murdered nine people and dissolved their bodies in acid.
- One of the choicest ironies is that he now speaks with disapproval about black marketeers, spivs and touts and unofficial operators, and has nothing but praise for his new friends in the RFU.
1930s: perhaps related to spiffy.
spivvy adjective (spivvier, spivviest)
- Example sentences
- And after a shaky start, Daniel actually starts to enjoy climbing his family tree - ranging from the willowy Rebecca to shakier timbers like the spivvy Irving.
- The fact that he is played by an actor whom nature has condemned to permanently talk out of the side of his mouth, as if drawn by Picasso, adds to his spivvy air.
- Again, the mode is parable: a spivvy Italian father tries to please his Anglicized young son by integrating into the mainstream through an arranged marriage.
Definition of spiv in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan