(also splenius muscle)
noun (plural splenii /-nɪʌɪ/)Anatomy
- Either of two muscles attached to the vertebrae in the neck and upper back which draw back the head.More example sentences
- Rhomboideus-occipitalis passes between trapezius and splenius to reach the occipital bone.
- The patient underwent magnetic resonance imaging with contrast, which showed the mass to be well circumscribed and located between the right splenius and semispinalis cervicis muscles.
- The splenius represents a superficial prolongation of the lateral column of muscle to the head.
mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek splēnion 'bandage'.
More definitions of spleniusDefinition of splenius in:
- The US English dictionary