Definition of spline in English:
1A rectangular key fitting into grooves in the hub and shaft of a wheel, especially one formed integrally with the shaft which allows movement of the wheel on the shaft.
- UAW Local 2101 represents 17 workers at Wedin, where they manufacture ball screws, nuts, gears, shafts, splines and motion-control systems.
- Engineered to maintain original GM dimensions and process parameters, these axles are induction hardened and feature a 100-percent machined shaft and precision nobbed splines.
- Using the concave roller to carefully roll the spline into the groove over the screen.
2.1A flexible wood or rubber strip used especially in drawing large curves.
- Therefore, there is more flexibility in the fitted splines than is strictly necessary to model the data.
- The great power of ISIS-Drive's open standard is also its weakness - the tapered spline requires great care to produce and the ISIS standard leaves manufacturing open to interpretation in some respects.
3 (also spline curve) Mathematics A continuous curve constructed so as to pass through a given set of points and have a certain number of continuous derivatives.
- The data was therefore fit nonparametrically to a smooth curve using the Dierckx algorithm for cubic spline curve fitting.
- Did you know that the most pleasing shape to man is the spline curve?
- Garrett was quick to recommend the use of cubic splines for the representation of smooth curves.
verb[with object] Back to top
1.1 (usually as adjective splined) Fit with a spline: splined freewheels
More example sentences
- That combination creates a lighter, stiffer crankset than older square-taper spindles and uses Shimano's widely available ES - 70 splined bottom bracket.
- The splined interface accepts the rotor much like freehub accepts the cassette - just slide the rotor on and cinch-down using a single lock-ring.
- I want to replace my BB / Crank with a splined version, but the spindle is offered in 113 mm.
mid 18th century (originally East Anglian dialect): perhaps related to splinter.
Definition of spline in:
- US English dictionary